I don’t know how much more mental, spiritual and physical abuse I can take from the most conservative president ever. Oblomova brings us today’s example of Obama’s GBLT hatred [via the White House Blog, 19/7/11]:
President Obama is proud to support the Respect for Marriage Act, which is being introduced by Senator Feinstein and Congressman Nadler in the Senate on July 20. This legislation would uphold the principle that the federal government should not deny gay and lesbian couples the same rights and legal protections as straight couples.
The President has long called for a legislative repeal of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which continues to have a real impact on the lives of real people — our families, friends and neighbors.
It’s enough to make you cry out “How long, O Lord. How long?”
I realize the chances this bill (which has been knocking around for some time) will pass are still somewhere between Snowflake Baby in Hell and Glass Hammer in a Blacksmith’s Workshop.
However, I’m near the mid-point of decade four so the fact some legislators, never mind the president, are being rational and fair and not hateful-shits-for-political-gain about this still leaves me stunned and giddy*.
So join me and celebrate by pre-selecting your favorite emopanty response:
- Waaah! He should just wave his Majik Pen of Executiveness and make equal marriage legal!
- I’m not impressed. He could have done this the minute he was elected.
- This is obviously part of a plot to get our names in public databases so we can be hunted down and fed to mHaggie Gallagher.
- I’m gay and I don’t want to get married. Why is President Obama shoving his patriarchal notions of “love” down our throats? (Var. I have a gay friend who doesn’t …)
- Despite this somewhat interesting news (assuming it is true), let us not forget all of those times Obama DIDN’T come out in full support of equal marriage rights and remember to vote Republican.
- I still don’t have my pony so I shall hold my vote until I turn blue!
*Also part of his nefarious plot, no doubt.